Archived Blog Posts
Is Professional Fire Restoration Necessary for Oakland Apartments?
Even if your particular apartment was not on fire, there can still be damage. Call SERVPRO today will are ready to help.
Professional fire and smoke damage cleaning is wise for Oakland residences.
Apartment complexes and structures in the city can feature hundreds of units. When a single fire disaster impacts your residence, it can spread quickly to be an even more significant and more costly emergency. Our experienced fire restoration professionals can help with containment strategies and efficient restorative approaches.
What Fire Restoration Steps Help Restore Oakland Apartments?
Air filtration can often be among the most critical initial actions for fire restoration in Oakland apartment buildings. This HEPA filtration can trap and capture hazardous particulates and carcinogenic particles. Air scrubbers can often help in this regard, but other HEPA products can also trap airborne debris and begin deodorization, such as:
As challenging as fire restoration can be when it impacts your residence, it can be a greater concern when these effects affect neighboring properties as well. Our SERVPRO of West Oakland team can help with efficient containment and cleaning strategies. Call us today at (510) 599-9300.
What Water Mitigation Steps Benefit Oakland Homes?
Standing water in your home? SERVPRO of West Oakland is here for the water rescue.
Water removal services and cleaning can aid in restoring Oakland properties.
With how many potential water damage causes exist, many homes and properties throughout the Greater Oakland area are susceptible to these emergencies. We are ready to respond to these threats 24/7 with efficient water mitigation services.
What Are the Most-Used Water Mitigation Tools?
Water mitigation for Oakland homes and businesses is among the most critical action our SERVPRO team takes, and the process typically centers on efficient water removal services. As overwhelming as surface water concerns might appear, we have numerous tools and instruments to remove pooling on flooring. The most common of the extraction tools used for water mitigation include:
Our SERVPRO of West Oakland team's initial actions when reaching homes and businesses after ceiling leaks and burst pipes can be among the most critical. We can help lessen restoration needs and ultimate costs with fast action. Give us a call today at (510) 599-9300.
Can Businesses in Oakland Recover Quickly from Commercial Water Damage?
Standing water in your business can be hard to wrap your head around. Give SERVPRO a call we are ready for all the water damage.
SERVPRO of West Oakland has Dedicated Water Damage Restoration Technicians for Commercial Properties
Commercial premises need to return to standard usage quickly after a water event to ensure a minimum loss of revenues. Using advanced drying equipment is a reliable way to reduce the turnaround time of restoration. However, understanding how to position drying equipment can be equally vital to fast drying times.
Positioning equipment correctly is essential to water damage restoration in your Oakland business. Angling air-moving equipment ensures that air currents run freely through the premises and significantly speed up the building's evaporation and drying. By avoiding a head-on airflow with walls and ceilings, we can avoid causing water vapor damage to a building's structure.
- Air movers are used in a clockwise system to ensure that air currents remain in motion throughout the premises.
- We can direct air-movers into acoustical drop ceilings to allow airflow on both the ceiling's exterior and interior.
- Aiming air-movers at a 45-degree angle to the surfaces can significantly decrease the drying time.
Minimize business interruption after water intrusion. Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland for water damage restoration at (510) 599-9300.
Repairing Storm-Related Flood Damage in your Oakland Home
Don't take one moisture from your storm damage alone, call SERVPRO of West Oakland immediately.
SERVPRO is a Leading Provider of Water Restoration for Flooded Properties in Oakland
Floodwaters that enter a property cause immediate damage to a structure and its contents. Emergency services like water extraction and pumping can help to alleviate losses through mitigation. However, ensuring the property does not sustain permanent harm relies on using a complete drying procedure.
Closed system drying can be effective for flood damage recovery in your Oakland home. A closed system implies that the structure is sealed while drying equipment controls the indoor atmosphere. This drying equipment could include dehumidifiers or rapid-air movers with heating elements.
- Drying tents use polyethylene sheeting pinned down with sandbags. Technicians can then apply air-movers or temperature directly to the surface, which can be helpful for flooring.
- Desiccant dehumidifiers can reduce the grains per pound of moisture in the air below 40. These are useful for reducing the moisture content of semi-porous materials.
- Balancing the drying system ensures that dehumidifiers remove the moisture from the air as it is evaporating.
Limit the long-term effects of moisture on your property. Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland for flood damage technicians at (510) 599-9300.
Why do Residents Use Fire Damage Restoration Services?
SERVPRO of West Oakland cares deeply for their city, call us for your fire damage.
SERVPRO Can Help Repair Smoke Damage in your Oakland Home after a Fire
Oakland is one of California's larger cities and among the most prominent ports along the West Coast of the United States. Situated nearby to San Francisco, the Oakland and Bay Area are essential contributors to California and the country's economy. As a port city, the region has diverse ethnic demographics, including a bustling Chinatown, Latin and Irish quarters. The historic downtown region offers stunning period architecture from the Victorian nineteenth century while its modern reputation as a cultural and technology center carries global prestige. Oakland remains a center in the US for import and export trading, with its port accounting for 99% of containers passing through northern California.
In recent years Oakland has seen a population growth as many residents from neighboring San Francisco seek out the city to the East. Among the popular attractions for residents are Oakland's signature block parties, which can close off several miles of the town at a time, as well as its fantastic cuisine, outdoor activities, and wineries. One example of Oakland's bustling culture is the First Fridays event every month on Telegraph Avenue. The event brings together live entertainment, street entertainment, barbecues, drinks, and immersive art experiences. Entry is free and provides an excellent introduction to the city's bohemian culture.
- Temescal Alley is a small independent retail district in Oakland, CA. The shops lining the street here are unique, including Crimson Horticultural Rarities, which stocks weird and wonderful plant life, and the Marisa Mason store that specializes in jewelry and accessories.
- The Fox and the Paramount Theatre are both shining examples of the city's famous art deco architecture. Initially built in 1928, the venues host a range of contemporary and classic theatre throughout the year. The Fox doubles up as a concert venue and has a rotating weekly list of live music acts to enjoy.
- The Redwood Regional Park is a 1,830-acre expanse that features trees up to 150-feet high. Fishing and hunting are both permitted at the park, while the various camping grounds and facilities are snapped up on weekends by visitors to the area. The state park also has a ten-million-year-old volcano with one of the highest peaks in Oakland.
SERVPRO are Experts at Identifying and Correcting Smoke Damage in your Oakland Residence
Fire releases smoke, which can be detrimental to the indoor air quality and cleanliness of your home. We provide:
- Smoke remediation
- Fire and smoke damage restoration and cleanup
These smoke residues frequently bond with the surfaces they contact, requiring an expert technician to assess and remove the residues without causing excessive damage. SERVPRO is a local restoration service that can assist you with the cleaning and removal of smoke residues.
- Our technicians can use high alkaline cleaners to remove smoke residue from appliance surfaces and countertops.
- By dissolving greasy smoke deposits in a solvent solution, we can often rinse walls or furniture to remove potentially expensive smoke damages.
- SERVPRO technicians rely on environmental protection agency (EPA) registered products to ensure cleanup remains safe in the home and the local environment.
If you need assistance dealing with smokes, contact SERVPRO of West Oakland for fire damage restoration at (510) 599-9300.
Are There Ways to Enhance Mold Remediation Processes?
Mold damage can take over quickly, call SERVPRO of West Oakland.
SERVPRO Combines Traditional and Emerging Technologies to Manage Mold in Oakland
It can be distressing to watch your home deteriorate from mold infestation. You might also be worried since mold exposure may cause health effects. If you are afraid of immediate recurrence or have challenges with common remediation approaches like cleaning up the affected areas and removing moldy materials, it may be possible to try alternative approaches.
The alternative mold remediation approaches Oakland homeowners can try may involve using unique products or changing the methods of applying regular antimicrobial products to improve their efficiency. Antimicrobial products kill mold spores through physical contact, and therefore any methods that enhance contact can deliver better results. Some of the unique approaches our SERVPRO technicians utilize include:
- Using paints to suppress odor and halt mold growth
- Applying antimicrobial products using foggers
- Removing airborne residues using air scrubbers
- Containment--securing the work area to prevent cross-contamination of spores or particles
When cleaning moldy surfaces, spores and mold residues are easily released into the air spreading the problem further. Air scrubbers with HEPA filters can help remove the residues. Our SERVPRO technicians also use thermal or ULV foggers, which atomize antimicrobial solutions, thus ensuring sufficient penetration into affected materials.
SERVPRO of West Oakland is committed to providing satisfying mold remediation. Call us at (510) 599-9300 when you need assistance.
Handling Carpets during Water Damage Repair
Water damage is no fun, let SERVPRO come handle the damage so you can get back to the fun.
For Convenient Restoration of Your Emeryville Home Call SERVPRO
When there is a water spill in a home, carpets and other floor treatments are heavily affected since water accumulates on the ground. Other activities such as people’s movement or furniture relocation add to the strain on such materials.
Some of the steps taken during the water damage repair of Emeryville homes can damage carpets unnecessarily. After such physical damage, replacing the entire carpet or certain sections may be the only way to restore the house. Some of the typical problems that arise from poor handling of carpets include:
- Stretching or tearing
- Mold development from moisture remnants
When SERVPRO repairs water-damaged houses, we take steps to ensure no unnecessary damages to carpets and other floor treatments. For instance, where possible, we use specialized water extraction equipment such as ride-on rovers or water claws to avoid removing the carpet and reducing the chances of tearing it. We also use unique techniques such as floating, whereby we blow air underneath the carpet using air movers to ensure thorough and speedy drying thus, eliminating chances of mold development.
SERVPRO of West Oakland utilizes various approaches during water damage repair to ensure no complications arise. Call (510) 599-9300 for tailored service.
Can Restoration Services Perform Structural Repair?
Let SERVPRO of West Oakland to see what they can do for your storm damage.
We Know that Flood Damage Can Cause Physical Damage to your Oakland Home. Our Technicians Have the General Construction Experience Necessary to Perform Repair.
Violent weather events can damage roofing, windows, doors, and exterior buildings like garages. The consequent flooding, usually caused by heavy rainfall or road overflow, can further impact the structure of your home.
Our flood damage restoration technicians in Oakland have a range of skills to help repair the physical structure of your home and your belongings. Our roster of technicians includes general construction industry training (OSHA), which allows us to rebuild your home without relying on third-parties. We also have extensive expertise in the restoration of contents following a flood event.
- Our group includes technicians with Carpet Cleaning (CCT), Rug Cleaning (RCT), and Color Repair (CRT) qualifications to help return fittings to a preloss condition.
- Physical parts of the structure and building assembly can be assessed by technicians with expertise in masonry (SMT), marble, and stone (MSI).
- Our general construction training (OSHA) means you only have to deal with one point of contact throughout service.
- In special cases, we may suggest third-party companies to assist with the build back.
Trust the experts with flood and storm-related repairs. Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland for flood damage restoration at (510) 599-9300.
What Repairs are Necessary after Water Intrusion in Oakland Business Premises?
Water damage can take over quickly especially in a commercial establishments. With larger pipes and more water, call SERVPRO today.
SERVPRO Evaluates Property to Determine the Best Water Damage Repair Approach
Water leaks and other intrusions in business premises are disruptive and require immediate attention to restore normal operations. You may expect that once you wipe off wet surfaces and open some windows, the problem is solved. However, in some cases, the problem extends beyond the excess moisture necessitating repairs.
Water damage repair tasks in Oakland range from challenging ones such as replacing wall or ceiling materials to simpler ones like redoing surface finishes. The outcome mostly depends on the type of business, the contents, fixtures, structure of building and the amount of water involved and the time taken to complete remedial processes. Some of the common issues you have to fix after water intrusion include:
- Chipped paint or changes to other surface finishes
- Soft or weak drywall
- Water stains on materials like wood, concrete, or glass
- Inventory transport offsite for drying and cleaning
Water, whether clean or otherwise, can cause staining. Stains from clean water usually develop because of mineral deposits dissolved in the water, left on surfaces. Removing such stains requires the right cleaning products. SERVPRO utilizes specially formulated cleaning products such as Window Green Clean which readily remove the stains. Timely drying can help save drywall while repainting or refinishing surfaces is sufficient to restore them.
SERVPRO of West Oakland sends well-trained technicians to your business premises to help with water damage repair. Call us at (510) 599-9300.
Can Soot Be Harmful to Your Health?
Fire and soot damage can be hard to take on. Call SERVPRO of West Oakland today.
Fire Damage Restoration in Oakland Can Restore the Indoor Air-Quality in your Home.
One of the primary side-effects of a property fire is the impact on indoor air quality. When materials combust, they can release microscopic soot, chemical, or odor into an indoor environment. Lack of proper ventilation, such as in a stairwell, can cause consistent indoor air quality problems and health effects.
Comprehensive fire damage restoration in your Oakland home includes returning your indoor air quality to a pre-incident condition. We have a range of equipment at SERVPRO specifically designed to remove soot, dust particles, odor, and chemicals from indoor air. Following a careful assessment of your home by either a crew chief or indoor environmental specialist, we can set to work returning the property to its preloss condition.
- Industrial centrifugal or axial fans can provide a consistent air-flow in the property and ensure that harmful toxins are exchanged with clean, indoor air.
- The placing of box-fans follows our use of fumigation equipment to ensure that odor removal is successful and solvents are reduced to a safe level.
- Air filtration devices (AFDs) are specifically designed to filter out microscopic dust and soots, making your indoor air safe.
Returning property to a preloss condition includes air-quality restoration. Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland for fire damage restoration at (510) 599-9300.
Can Water Exposure Worsen Over Time?
SERVPRO knows how important your property is. Call us today when it comes to damage.
SERVPRO in Oakland Can Mitigate Against Water Exposure and Lessen Exponential Damages in your Home.
Oakland is a port city on the West Coast of the USA and a thriving part of the San Francisco Bay Area. The storied history of the area owes much to the mid-nineteenth century gold rush. Prospectors arriving in California could use Oakland, and its busy port, to export raw materials worldwide. The growing population was supplemented in part by Chinese immigration, which has flourished in Chinatown neighborhoods. The region experienced a second boom in population during the early twentieth century with constructing a general motors factory in 1916. During the second world war, Oakland was a core part of military manufacturing leading to further population growth and ethnic diversity.
Modern-day Oakland is a typical metropolitan region with several huge skyscrapers and over fifty individual neighborhoods. The thriving Central Business District is supplemented by one of the world's leading universities in Berkeley. The city is currently ranked in the top ten places to live in the United States and among the top twenty for economic opportunity. The cultural diversity alongside gentrification during the twenty-first century has seen Oakland develop into a tourist hotspot. Over 2.5 million people visit Oakland each year, while the city has more artists per capita than anywhere else in the United States.
- The Oakland Athletics is a major league baseball team that plays at the Ring Central Coliseum on Oakland's outskirts. The stadium, located on Coliseum way, has a capacity of 63,132 and full corporate facilities. The construction of a new stadium is well underway, with a grand opening expected in 2023.
- Boat tours covering the San Francisco Bay area with knowledgeable guides and group bookings frequently depart from Oakland Port. Trips typically include passing under the Golden Gate Bridge and intimate knowledge of the local history during the gold rush and the twentieth century.
- The Oracle Arena is a 19,600 strong seated basketball arena and live entertainment venue. Oracle was home to the Golden State Warriors, who played in the NBA here for Oakland until 2019. The stadium has hosted NBA finals consecutively for the past five years and is situated in Coliseum way.
SERVPRO Can Prevent the Damaging, Long-term Effects of Water Damage in your Home.
Water exposure worsens over-time. The total impact of a water intrusion event depends on the types of material in the home and the length of time those materials are exposed to water. SERVPRO technicians can identify potential damage-causing issues quickly and put in place solid, mitigative controls to avoid permanent damage.
- Our technicians receive specific training relating to the treatment of organic materials and fabrics. We can help to reduce or negate the effects of water exposure on expensive furniture, upholstery, or textiles.
- Hardwood floors can absorb excess water and become warped. Using dehumidification equipment, our team can reduce the moisture content level before sanding out any existing damages.
- We store a range of advanced equipment for restoring materials at a property. These include ultrasonic immersion cleaners and mechanical washing machines.
Reducing damage from water exposure is an expert job. Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland for water damage mitigation at (510) 599-9300.
Why SERVPRO? Adherence to EPA Mold Damage Remediation Protocol
SERVPRO inspects, identifies moisture problems, visible mold stains, and then remediates homes in Oakland
Oakland residents rely on SERVPRO’s research-based mold abatement
When mold growth signs appear in an Oakland home, panic can ensue. Media covers concerns about mold infestations frequently, but sometimes the high priority given to mold’s growth and damage fails to guide residents to effective abatement strategies. Contact SERVPRO for a consultation if you note any of the following signs:
- A clear view of mold colonies on structures or contents
- Persistently damp areas
- Staining of surfaces unrelated to spills, sprays, or other events
- Musty smells regardless of other indicators
- Locates the mold colonies
- Contains the affected area with barriers and air scrubbing technology
- Brushes, scrapes, and employs controllable blasting techniques for porous materials to remove mold
- Wipes down and uses HEPA-filtered vacuuming to collect debris, bagging all moldy materials for lawful disposal as hazardous waste
- Disinfects affected surfaces with EPA-registered products
- Arranges resolution of leaks or other moisture issues contributing to the mold problem
Make the call to SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300 to schedule a mold growth and damage assessment and remediation plan.
Contractor Licenses: General: 937457
Can Oakland Businesses Prepare for Fast Water Damage Recovery?
Be prepared for unexpected water or fire damage to your Oakland Business by requesting SERVPRO's ERP Emergency READY Profile Plan
Review SERVPRO’s Water Disaster Emergency READY Profile (ERP)
Successful businesses put a wide range of plans in place, ensuring smooth operations if problems arise. SERVPRO offers a unique Emergency READY Profile and Plan (ERP), partnering with companies in Oakland seeking water mitigation and remediation answers pre-crisis.
How Does SERVPRO’s ERP Work for Oakland Businesses?
The ERP involves a collaborative and proactive process designed to ready your business in Oakland if water damage threatens your operations. An experienced SERVPRO water damage project manager assesses your commercial space in-person and consults with you and your managers. We approach preparation in two ways:
- Positive Pre-Disaster Changes
- Our expert vigilantly seeks out vulnerabilities in your layout and systems.
- We deliver a post-assessment set of recommendations that can prevent and limit water damage.
- You share information through our mobile app.
- Practical and Concise Response Plan
- The ERP distills information about your business layout and operations into a digital water damage recovery agenda:
- Blueprints of your space, including locations of essential utility shut-offs
- A step-by-step work plan, accessible to our crews via mobile devices
- Designation of SERVPRO as your preferred contractor
- Provision of a list of individuals who can act on your behalf to avoid delays
Call (510) 599-9300 to start the ERP process for your business with SERVPRO of West Oakland.
Is the Average Homeowner Equipped to Handle Water Damage?
SERVPRO of West Oakland is prepared to help Oakland homeowners take on water damage.
Most Homeowners are Not Prepared for Water Damage, However SERVPRO is Equipped to Help Oakland Homeowners.
Many of us hesitate to purchase a home for different reasons. Although financial reasons weigh heavily, homeowners also need to consider the commitment to the upkeep of the home once it becomes yours. As a renter, the landlord or property manager typically takes care of repairs leaving the tenant generally free and unencumbered by mishaps typical to owning a home. For example, when a carpet or floor is soaking wet because of a broken pipe, a tenant can reach out to the landlord, whereas a homeowner needs to research a reputable company to help restore the home.
In Oakland, SERVPRO is an expert in water cleanup services, which makes us a crucial resource once you cross the threshold into homeownership. Because we realize that emergencies happen around the clock, we make our crew available 24/7. Whenever you find water damage to your property, we can help mitigate your losses by reducing the time lapse between the incident and the extraction of water. All you need to do is call us and invite our Green Fleet into your home.
First-time homeowners tend to make the mistake of attempting the restoration process on their own. The difference between renting equipment from a home improvement store and allowing us to use our industry-specific tools can represent the difference between the proliferation of bacteria and a safe environment for you and your family. Our SERVPRO technicians train specifically to understand the chemical composition of available cleaning agents, and we know how to use them to prevent further complications while protecting your furniture and personal belongings. A poor restoration job can both set you up for issues like mold while damaging your furniture with abrasive solutions. When you let us lead the way, you do not have to worry about microbial growth or the proper application of cleaning agents. Our crew knows how to work with EPA-approved products and wearing personal protective equipment to shield our staff and your home from harm.
SERVPRO of West Oakland is here to help you keep your home safe. Just call our professional team at (510) 599-9300 when you run into trouble and let our team apply its expertise to your benefit. Like you, we want to leave your home, “Like it never even happened.”
Fire Damage Restoration Services for Businesses?
Fire damaging your commercial property can be overwhelming immediately, call SERVPRO for relief today.
SERVPRO Can Help Remediate the Fire Damage Troubling Your Emeryville Business
Owning a local clothing boutique in Emeryville can be incredibly rewarding, but fire damage could rain on your parade. Stocking unique fashion pieces from small businesses, and supporting local craftsmanship, is an excellent niche for your store. Modernly, the younger generations are attracted to eco-friendly fashion. However, fire damage could cause significant clientele loss if not dealt with quickly.
Here at SERVPRO, we want to help you restore the fire damage in your Emeryville boutique as soon as possible. We understand how hard it is for a business to have its doors closed for even a single day. A fire could have your doors closed for much longer if not handled immediately and adequately.
What Can SERVPRO Do to Help Me?
Our technicians are expertly trained and have access to advanced technological devices explicitly designed with fire damage restoration in mind. We can:
- Come to your aid whenever you need it: morning, night, weekends, and holidays
- Take inventory of your stock to help you measure your losses
- Thoroughly remediate the damages inside of your building, including both what you can see and what you can smell
We know one of your primary concerns is how the smoke damage may have impacted your stock- after all, you sell clothing. Our goal is to help remediate what is salvageable. What we cannot save of your inventory, we can help you claim with your insurance adjuster.
How Can You Address the Powder Extinguisher?
One aspect many people don't consider is how much of a mess snuffing-based extinguishment can make. However, here at SERVPRO, we come prepared. Our technicians can:
- Use vacuums, brooms, and rovers to remove debris and dust from your property, including ash and powder-based extinguishers
- Once finished cleaning the physical remnants of the small fire, we can address malodors with technology such as thermal foggers
- Hydroxyl generators are another great way to reduce malodors inside of your store
Our technicians' goal is to get your store back to its preloss condition as quickly as possible. The sooner you open the doors, the less loss you face.
If your business suffers fire damage, never wait. Call SERVPRO of West Oakland by phoning (510) 599-9300. We're always ready to help!
There was A Flood in Oakland. What Dangers Might I Face in My Home?
Flood damage can be hard on your Oakland property, call SERVPRO of West Oakland for assistance today.
SERVPRO Identifies Hazards and Creates a Safety Plan
Once the flood in Oakland recedes, you are left with dealing with the cleanup, and may also have to deal with both visible and unseen hazards. Coping with the heavy burden of your home in a state of upheaval can be a lot to handle all at once. Our restoration specialists lift that burden by assisting in the cleanup and restoring safety to your home.
Should I Still Obtain Professional Assistance if it was Just a Minor Flood? Yes, Structural Damage May Present Itself Days or Weeks After the Flood.
It is crucial to deal with flood damage in Oakland right away to hinder further damage like deteriorating drywall or mold infestations. Our technicians come to assess the damage and ensure it is safe for both residents and workers before beginning the restoration process.
What are Some of the Potential Hazards?
- Electrical: Water conducts electricity and can be very dangerous if the water reaches the wiring system. Technicians may shut down your circuit box or even the power source on the outside of your home.
- Structural: Hidden moisture in drywall and flooring can weaken the surfaces, creating a potentially dangerous situation. For example, a ceiling full of water may collapse if not adequately addressed.
- Infectious Waste: Floodwater is considered contaminated by the EPA since it often contains sewage with potentially dangerous microorganisms. Technicians wear appropriate PPE when dealing with contaminated water.
Before any work, technicians identify and address hazards to keep everyone within the home safe. After the hazards are taken care of, they may proceed with the cleanup and require restoration to get your home back to its preloss status.
Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Can One Company Handle All Oakland Storm Damage Issues?
SERVPRO says--Rely on us for flood damage mitigation in Oakland
SERVPRO offers mitigation and rebuilding after Oakland storms
Oakland suffered significantly from a massive storm in October 1962. Striking an 1100-mile swath from British Columbia to the Bay Area, strong winds, torrential rains, and mudslides devastated the area, resulting in 46 deaths and hundreds of injuries. Estimates immediately after the storm totaled California's dollar damage, plus that to Oregon and Washington, at $2.4 billion, adjusted.
What Was the Cause of the 1962 Storm?
On September 28, 1962, 500 miles from Wake Island in the central Pacific Ocean, an updraft formed. As it intensified and moved north-west. By October 3, it was named Freda and upgraded to a tropical storm. Over the next few days, it began moving north-east, becoming extratropical by October 10. Waning in intensity, the system drifted into a powerful storm formation zone off of northern California. The conditions re-energized the cyclone, pummeling the coast of California on the 12th and into the 13th.
What Were the Effects of the Storm of 1962 in Oakland and Elsewhere?
Dying cyclones rarely cause issues when they reach the Oakland area, losing intensity and the threat of significant damage. The extratropical cyclone origin of the 1962 storm makes it one of a kind occurrence, not happening at any other time in the recorded climatological record:
- Oakland set an all-time October 24-hour record with 4.52 inches of rain.
- Landslides and flooding cut off access to the Orinda side of the Caldecott Tunnel.
- The tremendous amount of rain caused the Cull Canyon dam in Castro Valley to nearly burst.
- Many residential and commercial buildings received damage because of falling trees, landslides, and flooding.
- Across the Bay, the high winds delayed games in the 1962 World Series between the San Francisco Giants and the New York Yankees.
- The storm caused the death of a five-year-old girl as mud and debris slammed into her house.
How Do Professionals Turn the Tide on Storm Damage in Oakland?
Floods and other Oakland storm damage overwhelm property owners. With the rigorous training, experience, and appropriate equipment SERVPRO brings to your extreme weather disaster, the journey back to "Like it never even happened," completes rapidly. Our company's licensed contractor status permits us to follow expert storm damage mitigation and remediation with repair and rebuilding services.
What Should Property Owners Expect During the Storm Damage Recovery Process?
After the call goes to SERVPRO, our team travels as soon as practical to your home. Although we have a general idea of the tasks ahead, our project manager must inspect your house's specific layout. After a safety hazard inspection, our crew:
- Secures exterior damage, including boarding and tarping
- Installs needed supports and provides signage to note and prevent traffic on unstable or weakened structures
- Commences muck-out of mud and debris, bagging it for disposal as hazardous waste
- Positions submersible pumps to begin water removal
- Deploys truck-mounted extractors once water levels dip below two inches
- Traces migration routes of floodwaters into confined areas and building cavities using moisture detectors and meters
- Considers and then implements controlled demolition to access trapped water and open wet spaces for drying
- Cleans and disinfects affected surfaces
- Sets up effective and research-based drying configurations using air movers, heaters, and dehumidifiers
- Repairs damage and the planned demolition, rebuilding as needed
Hire SERVPRO of West Oakland for wrap-around mitigation, remediation, and restoration after storm-related damage to your home. We respond 24/7 to calls at (510) 599-9300.
Water Damage Restoration In Emeryville Can Involve Various Carpet Cleaning Methods
A plumbing failure can get out of hand quickly, call SERVPRO for assistance today.
SERVPRO Team’s Know Which Methods Will Work Best For Your Carpeting
If you ever suffer from any type of plumbing failure, it is possible that many of the contents and building materials inside your home will get wet. Moisture can then follow gravity and build up on your floors, which can force you to have to conduct extensive water damage restoration. Once your carpet gets wet after a pipe or an appliance in your house leaks, the moisture can become a magnet for dirt and soils.
Before they get dry, wet carpets can attract dust and dirt and cause your carpets to stain. One major step our SERVPRO technicians always take during water damage restoration in Emeryville is to clean your affected carpets after they have been dried out and extracted. When cleaning carpets and other upholstery, we can choose one or a combination of the following four different methods.
- Bonnet Cleaning
This method is the least aggressive cleaning method and can only be used to thinner carpets that have light soiling. During bonnet cleaning, our SERVPRO team sprays your affected carpets with Bonnet Brite, and then we use a roto with an absorbent bonnet pad to create agitation and then absorb the excess detergents.
- Hot Water Extraction
This method is the second to least aggressive and can work well when cleaning all types of carpets with light to moderate soiling. Hot water extraction occurs using a heavy-duty extractor with a wand that sprays the water-based detergent on the carpets as the extractor vacuums up the solution.
- Deluxe Pre-Condition And Rinse
This method is effective when attempting to clean carpets that contain moderate to heavy soiling. The deluxe pre-condition and rinse method also uses a portable or truck-mounted extractor, but the difference is that high traffic and heavily soiled sections of the carpet get sprayed with a pre-spray cleaner, and the chemical gets time to soak in before the cleaning
- Rotary Jet Extraction
Rotary jet extraction is pretty much the same as the deluxe and pre-rinse method, but an RX-20 rotary tool is used instead of a carpet wand.
If you ever notice soiling or stained carpets after they get wet due to a water leak, call SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300 24 hours a day and seven days a week.
Can I Get Rid of The Smoke Smell After a Kitchen Fire?
Even the smallest of fires can cause problems. Let SERVPRO of West Oakland give you a hand.
SERVPRO Technicians Remove Odors After Even the Smallest Fire
Although the lingering smell of smoke after a fire can be tough to remove, our technicians use a variety of techniques and products to get rid of the strong smell. Even your clothing may retain the smell of smoke after a kitchen fire a few rooms away. It has a way of traveling throughout your home and penetrating every surface.
How Do Technicians Rid the Home of Smoke Odor?
Our SERVPRO Technicians Use a Variety of Techniques to Deodorize Your Home
We understand that one of the worst parts of the fire damage in your Oakland home is the persistent smell of smoke. Our technicians remove the odor from the structure of your home, appliances, and your belongings by finding and removing the source of the odor and then deodorizing.
What Makes Smoke Odor So Difficult to Remove?
- Size: Smoke odor particles are very tiny, about the diameter of a human hair, and can travel into even the smallest nooks and crannies.
- Heat: The hotter the fire, the more the particles expand, in turn causing a stronger scent.
- Time and Amount of Residue: The longer the particles remain on a surface, the deeper the scent. Likewise, the more residue present on a surface, the harder it is to remove both the residue and odor.
- Porosity: If the surface is porous, more odor particles can get in and then expand.
Following even a small kitchen fire, it can be surprising how the smoke travels and permeates into surfaces and your belongings. Our technicians get rid of the smell by cleaning surfaces, removing the source of the smell, and recreating the smoke by fogging small 1-4 micron-sized deodorant particles throughout the impacted area to attack the odor.
For assistance after a fire, Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300. We make it, "Like it never even happened."
Is Professional Water Cleanup Wise for Oakland Homes?
Oakland structures benefit from SERVPRO's advanced equipment for drying after a water damaging event
Even with DIY restoration, there are still reasons to seek professional help with water disasters.
Because water disasters are such a common call out for our SERVPRO team, we stay prepared for these emergencies 24/7 in Oakland. Water continually moves and migrates throughout a property when it can, allowing an isolated incident to become a widespread concern for area residences. Despite the capabilities of DIY enthusiasts, there are advantages to choosing professional mitigation and restoration.
Choosing Thorough Drying for Your Oakland Home
When you need water cleanup for your Oakland home, we want to ensure that the problem gets resolved entirely. Our technicians use moisture monitoring equipment to track the progress of drying in a house to ensure that the placement of air movers and dehumidifiers is appropriate. Providing the most efficient drying and recovery solutions can save customers money by:
- Completing drying and restoration efficiently
- Preventing moisture concerns
- Repairing plumbing and structural damage
No matter how small a water disaster might seem, our SERVPRO of West Oakland team can help make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us today at (510) 599-9300.
How Can Fire and Smoke Damage Get Cleaned in Oakland Homes?
When fire damage disrupts your Oakland home, rely on SERVPRO for cleanup and IAQ indoor air quality restoration
Cleaning soot and smoke residues can be an intricate process during fire restoration.
Because of how devastating fires can be to Oakland homes, many have sought the thorough and experienced fire restoration technicians of our SERVPRO team. From the earliest stages of mitigation and emergency services to general contracting completed by our group of building trade professionals, we have a broad spectrum of restorative action we can take to protect and recover your home after a loss.
Removing Soot and Smoke Residues in Oakland Properties
When contending with fire and smoke damage in Oakland homes and businesses, soot and smoke residues are among the most challenging obstacles our restorers face. There are many potential solutions for soils on surfaces, but these options vary on the residue's composition and the underlying material. Soot removal often involves a combination of:
- Abrasive cleaning
- Soda blasting
- Surface wiping
- Agitative cleaning
- Controlled demolition
Our experienced professionals can help remove malodorous threats after a fire with varied cleaning practices. Give our SERVPRO of West Oakland team a call whenever disaster strikes at (510) 599-9300.