What are Ways Oakland Business Owners Can Avoid Needing Water Mitigation?
SERVPRO of West Oakland knows the importants of restoring water damage to your building. Call us today for assistance.
SERVPRO Techs Can Assist Oakland Property Owners Develop a Water Damage Recovery Plan
While there are many actions that Oakland business owners can take to limit water damage occurring to their buildings, it is not 100% avoidable. SERVPRO technicians can inspect properties and determine potential areas of concern and recommend fixes.
Oakland property owners should draw up a water mitigation plan or make use of the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile Plan--ERP. This is designed for use by both commercial and residential property owners, and the user interface allows for the customization of the important elements for each property. Some of the perks of the app are:
- Business owners get a no-cost assessment
- Creation of a profile document that contains important information to be used in case of an emergency
- A helpful guide to reopen your building safely
Business owners can take actions to lower the risk of needing water damage restoration in proactive steps. Regular inspections of the building should occur on at least a monthly basis. This single act can catch small leaks or property damage before it becomes a big problem. Having trees or tree limbs removed that could potentially fall on the structure. Consult with the landscaping crew about drainage around the property to prevent water pooling after heavy rains.
These steps performed regularly can greatly lessen the potential for damage to the property and contents from water. And in the event, a toilet backs up or pipe bursts, the SERVPRO team is ready to come to extract the water and dry the structure to limit the downtime needed for the restoration services.
SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300 is available 24/7 to handle commercial water mitigation in Oakland properties.
What Tools are Needed for Fire Damage Restoration in West Oakland Properties?
Fire damage can become very complicated. Call SERVPRO of West Oakland to ensure your fire is appropriately handled.
SERVPRO Technicians Have the Training and Equipment to Perform Post-Fire Cleanup in West Oakland Homes
There are different types of fire and smoke damage left behind in West Oakland properties. All the scenarios have in common that they have the potential for the best outcome when homeowners hand off the fire cleanup to a professional company.
A large part of West Oakland fire damage restoration services is the removal of soot and smoke damage. When a fire burns, the temperature it burns at, along with the types of articles consumed by the flames, contributes to the kind of soot and residues left by the fire. SERVPRO technicians typically encounter different types of residues in a single room, such as:
- Smoke webs
- Dry smoke
- Wet smoke
Soot Removal Done Right
There are a couple of different actions the technicians can do for walls and ceilings with soot covering. Homeowners should avoid trying to get soot off walls on their own. The act of adding moisture to dry smoke can drive the soot particles into the sheetrock and ruin the chances of restoration. SERVPRO techs have specific tools for the removal of this type of smoke damage.
The other most common type of smoke residue is wet smoke. This type strongly adheres to whatever surface it is on and often requires a solvent-based agent to release the grip. Because solvents can damage some surfaces, the area needs to be tested so the best cleaning method can be chosen. SERVPRO technicians perform detailed testing before they begin the restoration services to ensure they only use the correct cleaner for each situation.
SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300 stands ready to support West Oakland residents with any fire damage restoration needed.
What are Tips for Choosing Among Water Restoration Companies in Oakland?
SERVPRO of West Oakland is here for all of your Oakland property water damage needs.
SERVPRO Techs are Trained and Certified to Deliver the Best Outcome After Water Damage in Oakland Properties
A property owner can merely do so much to guard against water damage in an Oakland property. Inevitably, a pipe burst, flash flood, or roof leak can happen and need prompt attention.
SERVPRO stands out among Oakland water restoration companies as their technicians have extensive training and can handle the repairs and rebuilding on the back end of the home cleanup job.
Professional equipment makes a huge difference in the outcome after even a small water damage incident. The contrast between consumer-grade fans and the devices SERVPRO has access to has no comparison. The drying equipment the techs bring include:
- Drying mats
- Tubing for creating direct air delivery as needed
- Centrifugal air movers
- Industrial dehumidifiers
Another problem homeowners run into when attempting to do their own water cleanup is that they cannot tell for certain if there is water behind walls or under flooring. SERVPRO technicians have probes and infrared cameras that can pinpoint areas where moisture has collected so it can get extracted and dried. The pumps, both portable and truck-mounted, have enormous suction and can lift out even embedded water. That is why the techs spend extra time pulling the extraction wand several times over the same area to remove the maximum amount of moisture. This attention to detail during the cleanup can help lessen the drying time needed.
The drying time estimations are something that SERVPRO technicians estimate from years of experience plus the input from various pieces of equipment that detail both interior and exterior humidity levels.
SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300 remains the choice among professional water restoration companies in Oakland. Call anytime 24/7 for fast, efficient service from trained and certified technicians.
What Over the Counter Products Work to Remove Fire and Smoke Damage in Oakland Properties?
SERVPRO can effectively remove smoke and soot from your home.
SERVPRO Brings Professional and EPA-Registered Fire Damage Cleaning Agents to Oakland Jobs
Unfortunately, cleaning an Oakland structure and contents after fire damage requires more than a single magic cleaning solution. SERVPRO technicians have access to a wide selection of cleaning agents to work any surface. Plus, the comprehensive knowledge to use these cleaners effectively.
SERVPRO techs bring Oakland properties with fire and smoke damage back to a like-new status using both their professional solutions and restoration training. Walls and ceilings can present a problem, as high heat fires can leave behind light, powdery residues. The technicians have specific tools and cleaners for latching onto this type of smoke damage and lifting it gently off surfaces. Using wet cleaners can drive the soot into painted walls and ceilings, creating more damage. Knowing when to use specific cleaning agents and methods for different residue types is just one of the key reasons to hand off the house fire cleanup tasks to a professional restoration services company.
One of the fundamental elements to a successful fire and smoke damage restoration in a local property is removing any lingering fire odors. While SERVPRO has specific equipment to neutralize pungent smells that fires can leave behind, there are other applications such as:
- Odor counteracting beads
- Deodorizing granules or pellets
- Concentrated water-based deodorizers
The counteracting beads are a solvent within porous materials. The beads get placed in a glass or foil container, as the solvent within the beads can soften plastic. They work especially well when long-term odor control is needed. Frequently used fragrances are cherry or cinnamon.
SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300 supports the local Oakland community with professional fire and smoke damage restoration services. The trained and certified technicians are available 24/7.
How Does Drying Equipment Assist Water Cleanup in Oakland Commercial Properties?
When water damaged this office, SERVPRO was there! We provided complete water damage restoration.
SERVPRO Brings Professional Drying Devices to Every Oakland Water Damage Job
Consumer-grade drying equipment such as box fans can assist in drying small-scale water damage in Oakland commercial properties. However, using a professional service can eliminate the potential for post-restoration issues.
SERVPRO brings a variety of drying equipment to Oakland business properties needing water cleanup. After the extraction of the water from the premises, SERVPRO techs use their moisture detection equipment to set up the drying equipment such as:
- High-velocity air movers
- Industrial dehumidifiers
- Specialized drying configurations for wet carpet or hardwood
When the drying phase of the water damage restoration services begins, the technicians determine how long it will take to dry the area using multiple considerations such as the seal on the building and the current weather conditions. This plan enables the techs to create an accurate timing of their quoted drying goal.
Air movers are one of the most commonly used pieces of equipment SERVPRO relies on to dry properties. Axial air movers are flat squares and deliver fast airflow. The technicians set up numerous devices to bring down the interior humidity levels and dry the structure.
The other type of air mover that the techs rely on is the centrifugal air mover. This device looks like a snail shell and is ideal for direct airflow to a specific area, such as floating a carpet to dry the backing and pad or tenting over a hardwood floor or wet space.
Both types of air movers create a chain reaction that causes any embedded moisture to rise from within surfaces left after the extraction. The techs monitor the drying process of the restoration very carefully using multiple types of equipment, including probes and moisture meters, to ensure that the drying goals for interior humidity levels get attained.
SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300 stands ready 24/7 to help local commercial Oakland properties with any size or type of water cleanup needed.
Basic Principles of Cleaning Used for Business Water Intrusion
When water damage happens in your store, thorough clean up is essential. Contact Team SERVPRO for effective water removal and drying services.
Water Cleanup in Emeryville Businesses Requires Specific Cleaning Steps
In a commercial water intrusion, often the carpets and content are the main concern. SERVPRO has different carpet and textile cleaning methods, but fast water mitigation is needed for proper restoration.
Principles of Cleaning
Commercial water cleanup in Emeryville requires experience and training. SERVPRO technicians have both. We follow the basic principles of cleaning in each situation and apply whatever specialty techniques are needed as issues arise. The six principles of cleaning textiles include:
- Remove Dry Soil – Over 74% of the soil in textiles is dry particulates. Because they are dry, our techs can remove them easily. Vacuums and dry sponges are the most common methods used to get rid of dry soil.
- Identify the Surface – it is vital to determine whether the surface is porous or non-porous. Textiles are porous, but it then has to be determined if they are natural or synthetic. Different cleaning methods are used depending on the textile makeup, so this step is important.
- Identifying the Soils – Soils are either water-based or oil-based. Water-based soils get cleaned with a water-based cleaning product and oil-based with the appropriate cleaning agent.
- Suspend the Soils – If the dry soil removal process didn’t remove the dirt, the soil must get suspended. The cleaning agent is applied and agitated to help loosen the soil.
- Removing the Soil – This is known as the rinse step when cleaning textiles. The suspended soils get removed along with the cleaning agent.
- Dry the Surface – Textiles should be dried as quickly as possible to prevent secondary damage such as mold. Air movement, heat, and low humidity are all part of the drying process.
This process can get used on carpets, drapes, and other textiles. For professional water cleanup, call SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300.
Storms Can Bring Gallons of Water into Oakland Homes
Basement flooding is a common occurrence that needs to be handled right away. Team SERVPRO has the extraction tools to tackle the flood damage job.
Flood Damage in Oakland Calls for Powerful Water Extraction Tools
Whether you experience basement flooding or your whole lower level is impacted, flooding can be devastating. The water contains all kinds of contaminants, and only a professional should provide water mitigation. Removing the water is the key to restoration, and that requires commercial strength water extraction tools.
SERVPRO’s Powerful Extraction Units Remove Flood Water
Flood damage in Oakland calls for fast water mitigation. The contaminated water alone can cause serious damage. The longer the moisture sits, the more problems occur. SERVPRO technicians arrive on the scene ready to do battle with the floodwaters. In their arsenal of tools, they have various water extraction equipment. These include:
- Self-Priming Trash Pumps – When the suction lift is less than 25’ and the discharge head is less than 100 feet, these are very effective. They can handle liquid that contains solids. Trash pumps can handle solids up to 1 ¼”, semi-trash pumps up to 5/8”, and slurry pumps remove fluids with sad or mud.
- High-Pressure Pumps – These pumps are excellent for pumping out underground areas such as basements. They do not handle solids.
- Electrical Submersible Pumps – Submersible pumps get used more than any other in water extraction situations. They do not have suction lift limitations and can run continuously. We have small portable units and large industrial units.
Choosing the Right Pump for the Job
Our technicians have the skills to know which pump is the right one for the flood removal situation. They work long and hard to provide water removal services that restore your home to preloss condition whenever possible. If you have flood damage, contact SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300.
Does SERVPRO Handle Mold Remediation in Oakland for All Types of Mold?
SERVPRO is trained and has the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to safely remediate mold in your home.
SERVPRO Has Extensive Training in Mitigation of Mold Damage in Oakland Properties
When mold damage occurs in an Oakland property, although there are many types of mold, all species have some similarities, such as:
- Airborne spores are harmless and often airborne
- Mold spores can enter homes through anywhere air can flow
- Spores will not germinate without moisture
- Colony growth gets sustained with an organic food source and temperatures above 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mold remediation needs to begin in Oakland properties as soon as possible to limit the spread. It is essential to know the different types of mold being seen. Here is a brief overview of common mold types found in Oakland properties:
- Cladosporium may appear in green, brown, gray, or black colors and powdery, dusty appearance. Spores can become airborne if disturbed through wiping. Aspergillus may be white, yellow, and sometimes turn black.
- Penicillium is the white or greenish fuzzy mold most often found on food.
- Alternaria is a dark green, gray, or black mold with long-reaching "hairs." This type of mold is frequently found on carpets, clothing, and textiles.
- Stachybotrys is a type most people have heard of, also known as "Black Mold." It can grow on practically any surface and tends to have a slimy appearance.
- Memnoniella mimics the appearance of black mold but is not wet or greasy looking.
SERVPRO technicians have comprehensive training for safely handling the mitigation for all types of mold. The technicians do not perform air quality tests to determine the mold types present in the home. We treat mold infestations following specific protocols, not based upon the mold species. Most importantly, they can dry and remediate the colonies and apply treatments to inhibit the issue's return.
Call SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300 when the need for fast, efficient, and professional mold remediation arises. The technicians are available 24/7 for Oakland property owners.
How Are Thermal Imaging Cameras Used in Oakland Homes with Water Damage?
Thermal cameras can detect excess water remaining in walls and other parts of the home. Team SERVPRO has the trained personnel and equipment to help.
Infrared Cameras Are Just One of the Tools SERVPRO Uses in Water Mitigation in Oakland
Also known as infrared cameras, thermal imaging cameras discover and monitor the moisture in building materials. They are a valuable evaluation tool at the beginning of a project. They help our team discover how the water traveled through the building. At the finish of a project, they help determine how successfully drying went.
Benefits of a Thermal Imaging Camera
Thermal imaging cameras show infrared images, not moisture images, in Oakland homes that need water mitigation. While they help track moisture, it is not because they detect liquid. They detect the temperature differences on surface material. Wet surface areas show up as a different color than dry surfaces. This ability makes it an invaluable tool for finding hidden moisture. It doesn’t see behind or inside materials, but what it does detect on the surface often indicates what is underneath. Benefits of using the infrared camera include:
- Helps with Inspecting Difficult Areas – Places like high ceilings can be hard to reach with a moisture meter. Infrared cameras can get aimed at the location from the floor.
- No Building Destruction – Thermal imaging cameras cause no damage to the structure.
- Saves Time – Moisture inspection can be time-consuming if you have to go over a large building using moisture meters. Using a thermal camera to check large areas is much faster.
Thermal cameras combined with moisture meters are a powerful tool for providing a broad picture of where moisture is located. They allow SERVPRO to provide professional water damage services that remove all moisture and restore your home. Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 500-9300 for quality water remediation.
Can a Professional Water Damage Company in Oakland Help with Flash Flooding?
SERVPRO can help with any level of flood damage in your home or business.
SERVPRO is Standing by to Assist Oakland Homes When Flood Damage from Flash Flooding Occurs
Flash flooding can happen anytime there are severe storms and heavy rains. When this happens, homeowners can end up with over a foot of water in their homes. If flash flooding occurs in your area, the best thing you can do after assuring your family is safe is call in professional water mitigation experts.
More Than Just Water to Deal With
When flood damage occurs in Oakland, it brings with it more than just copious amounts of water. The liquid that surges through your residence carries all kinds of contaminants and debris. It is a biohazard and requires the proper equipment and PPE for removal. Our technicians provide you with emergency mitigation from water damage that includes:
- Water Extraction – We use special trash pumps that handle debris. This can include mucking out silt.
- Containment – This protects your home from further damage from migrating moisture.
- Sanitizing Impacted Surfaces –This is done continually throughout the flood damage cleanup process.
- Drying the Home – Powerful commercial equipment gets used in the proper ratio for efficient drying.
- Controlled Demolition – Applied as need to ensure the home gets restored properly
Preventing Extensive Loss
Our IICRC trained technicians get to the flood scene as quickly as possible. The sooner you call us, the better if you want to prevent extensive loss. Our goal is to prevent secondary damage from causing even further problems. For water damage remediation and storm services such as sewage cleanup, contact SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300.