Recent Storm Damage Posts
Oakland Homes May Experience Storm Damage
Call SERVPRO of West Oakland for your storm damage needs, we can help you take action fast.
SERVPRO is a Top Provider of Flood Restoration Services for the Oakland Community
The Oakland area has suffered its share of weather events in recent years. Fires, flooding, and droughts have all been in the news, leaving homeowners in need of water and fire damage restoration services. Many residents can attest to the importance of delegating such tasks to certified technicians who understand water removal services and flood restoration intricacies.
Flood remediation in Oakland is easier when you rely on SERVPRO and our expert staff. Water damage repairs are our specialty, and we take a meticulous approach to meeting the needs of each surface needing cleanup and restoration. We determine the most effective products and equipment we can use to return your home to pre-flooding conditions based on our extensive knowledge. When stormwater is involved, we dispose of items posing a danger due to their exposure to contaminants carried into the house. As we carry out the plan, we focus on humidity control, particularly as it pertains to its effects on the structure. Some of the most vulnerable areas include-
- Insulation can become matted and create an environment suitable for mold growth. Its replacement may be the best option.
- Wall cavities need to be ventilated, which we achieve by drilling holes into baseboards and pushing air into the cavity. Occasionally the moisture level is excessive, and we have to remove and replace portions of drywall.
- Cabinets may also hold excess humidity, and we determine those levels by using specialized moisture meters that allow us to penetrate the darkest recesses of a cabinet.
SERVPRO of West Oakland is at your service when you call (510) 599-9300. We are identified as experts in our field, and all our knowledge is at your service when disaster strikes.
Stormwater Removal with SERVPRO in West Oakland Gets Results
SERVPRO of West Oakland will give you results when it comes to your properties storm damage.
Never leave stormwater removal up to DIY methods alone – Call SERVPRO to your West Oakland property!
Rather a neighborhood than a stand-alone city, West Oakland is situated up in the northwestern area of Oakland, California. Looking back in time, the land that West Oakland resides on was granted in 1820 to Luis Maria Peralta.
The Loma Prieta Earthquake of 1989
During the devastating Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989, there was a collapse of the Cypress Freeway that took the lives of 42 people. West Oakland residents and rescue teams worked tirelessly to save as many people as possible, but the tragedy was too immense. Once the freeway was gone, locals resisted efforts for a rebuild, and gentrification started to take place in the West Oakland area. Warehouses got turned into art studios, pedestrian paths got put in, new gardens were installed, and older Victorian homes in the area started to get refurbished.
No matter where you go in the West Oakland area, you will always find various landmarks and historical sites to visit. This makes the region just right for taking a tour or spending a few days to take in some of the most notable points of interest, such as:
- Mountain View Cemetery
- Jack London Square
- Oracle Arena
- The Cathedral of Christ the Light
- USS Potomac
- Oakland California Temple
- Bay Bridge Trail
Exploring Some of the Best West Oakland, California, Neighborhoods
It goes without saying that West Oakland is a diverse area with plenty of things to see and do. If you are looking to relocate to the region, it is best to get to know some of the neighborhoods, including:
- Dogtown – This neighborhood in West Oakland was given the name years ago by local police due to the large stray dog population in the 1980s.
- Oakland Point – Also known as Gibbons’ Point, this is a small neighborhood along the eastern shore and now home to the Port of Oakland shipping terminal.
- Ghosttown – This neighborhood was given the 15th spot on the list of the coolest neighborhoods in the world for 2020. Ghosttown is the informal name given to the Foster Hoover Historic District.
West Oakland Property Owners Need Skilled Stormwater Removal to Prevent Secondary Damage
Harsh weather can bring on flooding that ravages West Oakland residential properties. Any standing water can put immense pressure on the structure of your home and turn into a costly event with the potential for mold and mildew growth. You need stormwater removal, and you need it quickly so that your home can get back to pre-flood condition, which is where SERVPRO can help!
When it comes to stormwater removal in West Oakland, our team at SERVPRO works diligently to mitigate loss and get you back on your feet.
- Our water restoration technicians (WRT) work under the restore versus replace mentality, which in turn keeps your claim expenses lower.
- We have crew chiefs and project managers with the necessary experience to execute each phase of the job while keeping your insurance company informed.
- All contaminated materials are either disposed of or cleaned thoroughly using our expertise and advanced equipment. When necessary, we perform water damage repairs using controlled demolition services.
Flood restoration and stormwater removal are what we are here for at SERVPRO of West Oakland. By calling (510) 599-9300, you will have a team at your door and ready to get to work as soon as possible.
Repairing Storm-Related Flood Damage in your Oakland Home
Don't take one moisture from your storm damage alone, call SERVPRO of West Oakland immediately.
SERVPRO is a Leading Provider of Water Restoration for Flooded Properties in Oakland
Floodwaters that enter a property cause immediate damage to a structure and its contents. Emergency services like water extraction and pumping can help to alleviate losses through mitigation. However, ensuring the property does not sustain permanent harm relies on using a complete drying procedure.
Closed system drying can be effective for flood damage recovery in your Oakland home. A closed system implies that the structure is sealed while drying equipment controls the indoor atmosphere. This drying equipment could include dehumidifiers or rapid-air movers with heating elements.
- Drying tents use polyethylene sheeting pinned down with sandbags. Technicians can then apply air-movers or temperature directly to the surface, which can be helpful for flooring.
- Desiccant dehumidifiers can reduce the grains per pound of moisture in the air below 40. These are useful for reducing the moisture content of semi-porous materials.
- Balancing the drying system ensures that dehumidifiers remove the moisture from the air as it is evaporating.
Limit the long-term effects of moisture on your property. Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland for flood damage technicians at (510) 599-9300.
Can Restoration Services Perform Structural Repair?
Let SERVPRO of West Oakland to see what they can do for your storm damage.
We Know that Flood Damage Can Cause Physical Damage to your Oakland Home. Our Technicians Have the General Construction Experience Necessary to Perform Repair.
Violent weather events can damage roofing, windows, doors, and exterior buildings like garages. The consequent flooding, usually caused by heavy rainfall or road overflow, can further impact the structure of your home.
Our flood damage restoration technicians in Oakland have a range of skills to help repair the physical structure of your home and your belongings. Our roster of technicians includes general construction industry training (OSHA), which allows us to rebuild your home without relying on third-parties. We also have extensive expertise in the restoration of contents following a flood event.
- Our group includes technicians with Carpet Cleaning (CCT), Rug Cleaning (RCT), and Color Repair (CRT) qualifications to help return fittings to a preloss condition.
- Physical parts of the structure and building assembly can be assessed by technicians with expertise in masonry (SMT), marble, and stone (MSI).
- Our general construction training (OSHA) means you only have to deal with one point of contact throughout service.
- In special cases, we may suggest third-party companies to assist with the build back.
Trust the experts with flood and storm-related repairs. Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland for flood damage restoration at (510) 599-9300.
There was A Flood in Oakland. What Dangers Might I Face in My Home?
Flood damage can be hard on your Oakland property, call SERVPRO of West Oakland for assistance today.
SERVPRO Identifies Hazards and Creates a Safety Plan
Once the flood in Oakland recedes, you are left with dealing with the cleanup, and may also have to deal with both visible and unseen hazards. Coping with the heavy burden of your home in a state of upheaval can be a lot to handle all at once. Our restoration specialists lift that burden by assisting in the cleanup and restoring safety to your home.
Should I Still Obtain Professional Assistance if it was Just a Minor Flood? Yes, Structural Damage May Present Itself Days or Weeks After the Flood.
It is crucial to deal with flood damage in Oakland right away to hinder further damage like deteriorating drywall or mold infestations. Our technicians come to assess the damage and ensure it is safe for both residents and workers before beginning the restoration process.
What are Some of the Potential Hazards?
- Electrical: Water conducts electricity and can be very dangerous if the water reaches the wiring system. Technicians may shut down your circuit box or even the power source on the outside of your home.
- Structural: Hidden moisture in drywall and flooring can weaken the surfaces, creating a potentially dangerous situation. For example, a ceiling full of water may collapse if not adequately addressed.
- Infectious Waste: Floodwater is considered contaminated by the EPA since it often contains sewage with potentially dangerous microorganisms. Technicians wear appropriate PPE when dealing with contaminated water.
Before any work, technicians identify and address hazards to keep everyone within the home safe. After the hazards are taken care of, they may proceed with the cleanup and require restoration to get your home back to its preloss status.
Contact SERVPRO of West Oakland at (510) 599-9300. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Can One Company Handle All Oakland Storm Damage Issues?
SERVPRO says--Rely on us for flood damage mitigation in Oakland
SERVPRO offers mitigation and rebuilding after Oakland storms
Oakland suffered significantly from a massive storm in October 1962. Striking an 1100-mile swath from British Columbia to the Bay Area, strong winds, torrential rains, and mudslides devastated the area, resulting in 46 deaths and hundreds of injuries. Estimates immediately after the storm totaled California's dollar damage, plus that to Oregon and Washington, at $2.4 billion, adjusted.
What Was the Cause of the 1962 Storm?
On September 28, 1962, 500 miles from Wake Island in the central Pacific Ocean, an updraft formed. As it intensified and moved north-west. By October 3, it was named Freda and upgraded to a tropical storm. Over the next few days, it began moving north-east, becoming extratropical by October 10. Waning in intensity, the system drifted into a powerful storm formation zone off of northern California. The conditions re-energized the cyclone, pummeling the coast of California on the 12th and into the 13th.
What Were the Effects of the Storm of 1962 in Oakland and Elsewhere?
Dying cyclones rarely cause issues when they reach the Oakland area, losing intensity and the threat of significant damage. The extratropical cyclone origin of the 1962 storm makes it one of a kind occurrence, not happening at any other time in the recorded climatological record:
- Oakland set an all-time October 24-hour record with 4.52 inches of rain.
- Landslides and flooding cut off access to the Orinda side of the Caldecott Tunnel.
- The tremendous amount of rain caused the Cull Canyon dam in Castro Valley to nearly burst.
- Many residential and commercial buildings received damage because of falling trees, landslides, and flooding.
- Across the Bay, the high winds delayed games in the 1962 World Series between the San Francisco Giants and the New York Yankees.
- The storm caused the death of a five-year-old girl as mud and debris slammed into her house.
How Do Professionals Turn the Tide on Storm Damage in Oakland?
Floods and other Oakland storm damage overwhelm property owners. With the rigorous training, experience, and appropriate equipment SERVPRO brings to your extreme weather disaster, the journey back to "Like it never even happened," completes rapidly. Our company's licensed contractor status permits us to follow expert storm damage mitigation and remediation with repair and rebuilding services.
What Should Property Owners Expect During the Storm Damage Recovery Process?
After the call goes to SERVPRO, our team travels as soon as practical to your home. Although we have a general idea of the tasks ahead, our project manager must inspect your house's specific layout. After a safety hazard inspection, our crew:
- Secures exterior damage, including boarding and tarping
- Installs needed supports and provides signage to note and prevent traffic on unstable or weakened structures
- Commences muck-out of mud and debris, bagging it for disposal as hazardous waste
- Positions submersible pumps to begin water removal
- Deploys truck-mounted extractors once water levels dip below two inches
- Traces migration routes of floodwaters into confined areas and building cavities using moisture detectors and meters
- Considers and then implements controlled demolition to access trapped water and open wet spaces for drying
- Cleans and disinfects affected surfaces
- Sets up effective and research-based drying configurations using air movers, heaters, and dehumidifiers
- Repairs damage and the planned demolition, rebuilding as needed
Hire SERVPRO of West Oakland for wrap-around mitigation, remediation, and restoration after storm-related damage to your home. We respond 24/7 to calls at (510) 599-9300.